Overview of College Success Program
ACCESS College Foundation’s College Success Program provides direct services to ACCESS Scholars attending George Mason University, Longwood University, Norfolk State University, Old Dominion University, Radford University, Regent University, Virginia Commonwealth University, Virginia State University, Virginia Wesleyan University, and the four campuses of Tidewater Community College. Advisors make visits to these campuses several times during the school year.
The ACCESS College Success Program seeks to:
- Increase the graduation rate for ACCESS Scholarship recipients.
- Increase the re-application rate for ACCESS Scholars.
- Increase awareness of existing college campus programs and services.
Since 2007, the ACCESS College Success Program has an overall 90% retention rate and six-year graduation rates that are nearly 2x higher than the Virginia average.
Services include outreach efforts to link scholars to appropriate college personnel or programs, assistance in re-applying for financial aid, and completing the steps to renew the ACCESS “Last Dollar” Scholarship.
How does the College Success Program assist ACCESS Scholars?
The ACCESS College Success Program helps students make the most of their college experience. To achieve this goal, we serve our Scholars by:
- Providing one-to-one counseling for academic, adjustment, financial, personal, and social issues.
- Assisting ACCESS Scholars in completing the FAFSA and ACCESS “Last Dollar” scholarship application procedures.
- Maintaining consistent communication via e-mail, mail, phone, and messaging to establish and maintain ongoing contact with Scholars.
- Acting as an advocate for students as issues arise regarding their college experience.
- Acting as a liaison with college departments to provide resource information to students.
- Consistently monitoring students’ academic achievement progress.